NEW Call : from December 3rd, 2019 - January 6th, 2020 (Apply on-line /see below)
About the Residency
The Hnatyshyn Foundation-Fogo Island Arts Young Curator Residency provides an opportunity for a young Canadian curator to work in residence for six weeks at Fogo Island Arts, a contemporary arts venue on Fogo Island, Newfoundland.
The residency will cover the costs of travel to and from Fogo Island, accommodations in a traditional Newfoundland home and use of a vehicle for on-island transportation. The residency also includes a stipend to cover food costs and incidentals.
During the residency period, participants have opportunities to work and interact with Fogo Island Arts staff, Canadian and international artists-in-residence, and members of the community. Candidates are selected based on their body of work and their ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
To be eligible for consideration, candidates must
- be between the ages of 25 and 30 inclusively at the time of the application deadline;
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- hold a valid Driver’s License in Canada and be eligible to rent a car;
- have curated a minimum of two exhibitions;
- have published a minimum of two critical essays on contemporary art.
In addition to meeting the criteria listed above, candidates must demonstrate that
- their work incorporates specialized training in contemporary art (not necessarily gained at an academic institution);
- their work has been presented in professional contexts and has received peer recognition;
- they have the determination and talent to contribute in meaningful ways to the development of contemporary art in Canada;
- they are able to work independently and as part of a team, and have proven superior written and oral communication skills in either English or French. Please note that the residents of Fogo Island are English speaking, and the working language at Fogo Island Arts is English.
How to Apply